Our curriculum is designed to combine a strong foundation in the knowledge and skills of MSE with a modern education that inculcates a thoughtful, problem-solving approach to professional life. The program culminates in a capstone project that enables students to work with industry partners and a team of their classmates to solve real-world problems.
Highlights of the B.S. in Materials Science and Engineering
The curriculum includes:
- 102 units* of core courses like “Engineering the Materials of the Future” (27-100). More than half of the core courses include lab work, including the Capstone course.
- 36 units of MSE-restricted elective courses
- 9 units of technical elective courses
- 45 units of free elective courses
*3 units is equivalent to 1 credit at other institutions
- Many students choose to pursue an additional major in Engineering and Public Policy or Biomedical Engineering.
- Students in MSE can fit any of the College of Engineering minors.
- Students pursuing majors in different departments can take one of three minors.